One of the most asked questions I get as a personal trainer and a sports nutritionist is “Should I take supplements?” or “What supplements should I take?”
Unfortunately this isn’t a quick answer question. A good trainer/nutritionist should take in account like your health condition and your goals.
Essential Supplements Everyone Should Take:
1. Protein: Whether it is whey, beef, casein, or other variant (I don’t like soy, but this is a different discussion), protein is great for people wanting to lose weight, gain muscle, or maintain. It is convenient and cheap comparative to other sources. Protein that is high quality, low fat, low carb, and high protein levels are essential. That is why I suggest great tasting Level-1 Protein by 1st Phorm. Level-1 Protein is a meal replacement shake (replaces expensive non-nutritious meals with healthy cost effective alternatives). Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
2. Fish Oil: Fish oil is great for your body, whether you are dieting, bulking, or maintaining. Fish oil is an anti-inflammatory which has characteristics that help prevent cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and arthritis.¹ Fish oil are healthy fats that will actually help you with weight loss. You want to take a fish oil supplement with the highest levels of EPA and DHA. I prefer Full Mega from 1st Phorm. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
3. Multi-Vitamin: As you train harder, you need a multi-vitamin that will work harder for you. Multi-vitamins help replace lost nutrients and supplement nutrients that your body isn’t getting. I like M-Factor Hero and M-Factor Goddess. M-Factor has a formula for men, and a formula for women. Each come with essential vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, and amino acids that can help your body perform at its best! Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
4. Amino Acids: Although Phormula-1 and Level-1 provides 5 grams of Branch Chain Amino Acids per serving, many supplements do not include a good 2:1:1 ratio of L-Leucine, L-Valine, and L-Isoleucine. Amino acids help with recovery, strength, and size. BCAA from 1st Phorm tastes amazing and has a great supplement ratio. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
Supplements for Size and Strength:
1. Creatine: Creatine is one of the most studied supplements in sports nutrition. Creatine is a natural supplement that is found in meat. Supplementing creatine will increase muscle volume, lessen recovery time, and increase strength. Creatine has been proven safe time and time again. Creatine is also very affordable. You can get 100 servings of 1st Phorm Creatine for less than $20. Mix it with your protein shake or drink. It doesn’t matter when or what time you take creatine. Just make sure you take it every day. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
2. Pre-Workout: A good pre-workout will help motivate you in the gym. Some people will look for supplements with a ton of caffeine, while others want a supplement with a mixture of amino acids, creatine, beta-alanine, and nitric oxide boosters. I prefer MegaWatt V2 or it’s non stimulant brother ALPHACre HD. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
Supplements for Fat Loss:
1. Fat Burner: Let me be the first one to tell you that although many fat burners work, they are not necessary for fat loss. Many people have lost a lot of weight without the use of fat burners. What a fat burner can do is help you through hormone regulation, energy, thermogenics, and water management. I am a huge fan of the Royal XXI Systems. The Royal Queen has been replaced with 1-DB Goddess!and Royal XXI King Systems help men and women lose weight fast! I have clients on both right now and they are losing fat extremely fast. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
Supplements for Older Men:
1. Testosterone Boosters: Unfortunately testosterone levels for men 30 and over decrease by about 10% every 10 years.² Testosterone helps with strength, sex drive, and overall well-being for men and women. There are many supplements that our over the counter that can help increase testosterone in middle-aged men. Supplements such as D Aspartic Acid, Tribulus Terrestris, and Fenugreek have been shown to increase testosterone. I really like 1st Phorm’s Testosterone boosting series. Order @ 1stphorm.com/nutritiontrain with free shipping.
Supplements are what their name suggests: supplements to your diet and your health. Protein, fish oils, multi-vitamins, and amino acids are essential (in my humble opinion) to men and women who are spending time in the gym. Other supplements can help give you an edge, but may or may not be needed. Check with your personal trainer/nutritionist/doctor before starting any supplements to see if they are right for you.
Lift Heavy My Friends,
Personal Trainer/Sports Nutritionist
¹ What to Know About Omega-3s and Fish. “http://www.webmd.com/diet/what-to-know-about-omega-3s-and-fish”
² High and Low Testosterone “http://www.medicinenet.com/high_and_low_testosterone_levels_in_men/views.htm”